CALL FOR A CONSULTATION 978-745-6600 978-745-6600

Child Support

Respected Salem Attorney Obtains Favorable Child Support Judgments

Fighting to secure your children’s necessities

When parents divorce, Massachusetts law requires that the noncustodial parent pay money (child support) to the parent living with the children on a full-time basis, within the constraints of available resources. The noncustodial parent may also have to provide health insurance coverage for the children. While the law is clear on this, obtaining the child support you think is necessary for your children’s well-being can be difficult. As the founder of Legasey & Associates,  I have helped many Massachusetts parents secure child support for their children during the divorce process and after the divorce decree is entered. As someone with more than 35 years of legal experience, I know that divorcing parents often view their child support obligations as much less than full-time parents do. That is why it is important to work with an experienced attorney who has obtained meaningful child support orders in the local courts.

Not only for minor children

If you have minor children, Massachusetts law obligates you as a parent to provide for your children. But even if your child is over 18, he or she may qualify for additional child support payments from the noncustodial spouse until a later age. If a child is a full-time student and dependent on parental resources, child support can continue in some cases after the age of majority. I can help you assess whether your older children may qualify for continued child support.

How much can you expect to receive or pay?

Courts look at the whole picture before ordering an ex-spouse to pay a fixed amount of child support. The calculation is affected by:

  • Income
  • Assets
  • Prior marriages
  • Related children

Should you modify a child support order?

Once a court enters a child support order, the noncustodial parent is required to pay the amount of money set by the judge. When circumstances change, however, the law permits modification of these decrees. While your ex-spouse may verbally agree to late payments, or even lesser amounts, these informal discussions between ex-spouses, even if amicable, are not recognized by the court. Moreover, these verbal accommodations are usually the basis for future legal problems that can:

  • Affect your child custody situation
  • Ruin your credit score
  • Prompt garnishment of your wages
  • Cause forfeiture of your driver’s license or passport
  • Result in jail time

An experienced and knowledgeable lawyer can convey these changes to the court in a proper manner so that your rights – and your ability to see your children – remain protected.

Enforcement of child support payments

When an ex-spouse fails to make his or her regularly scheduled payments, the original child support order may be enforced. Depending on how delinquent the payments are, the court can take the extreme measures of seizing assets and property, or arresting the delinquent party. If you need your child support order enforced, I can help get the payments back on schedule.

Contact me to discuss your child’s rights to receive financial support

I can work with you to obtain favorable child support payments and help determine whether your child qualifies for continued financial support from your ex-spouse. Call me today at Legasey & Associates to schedule an appointment to discuss any child support questions you may have at 978-745-6600 or email me at

John Legasey is an AV rated attorney with more than 35 years of family law experience.